A new survey by Career Builder had more than 2,000 hiring managers look at a list of questions, and decide whether or not they’re legal to ask in an interview. And a THIRD of them didn’t know.
Here are the top ten questions they didn’t realize they’re not allowed to ask . . .
- “What’s your religion?”
- “Are you pregnant?”
- “Are you a Democrat or a Republican?”
- “What’s your ethnicity?”
- “How old are you?”
- “Are you disabled?”
- “Are you married?”
- “Do you have kids, or plan to?”
- “Are you in debt?”
- “Do you drink or smoke?”
The survey also asked for the WEIRDEST questions interviewers ask. And all five of these ARE legal . . .
- “How would you wrangle a herd of cats?” They ask it to see how organized you are.
- “Do you believe in life on other planets?” Your answer can reveal how open-minded you are.
- “What superpower would you like to have?” They ask it to see if your answer reveals anything about how you view your own strengths and weaknesses.
- “If you were stranded on a desert island, which two items would you like to have?” Which is one that’s kind of a cliché at this point. But what you choose can show how good you are at dealing with situations where you have limited resources.
- “If you were trapped in a blender, how would you get out?” How you answer apparently shows how creative your problem-solving skills are. (Or maybe they just want to see if you have the guts to ask what the HELL they’re talking about.)