Your favorite condiment might be ruining your diet if you eat it a lot. Here are seven condiments, and how bad they are for you.
- Salsa. It might be the healthiest condiment out there, because it’s mostly vegetables. One tablespoon only has five calories.
- Mustard is another one that’s not bad, because it’s loaded with antioxidants, vitamin B, and niacin, which can help lower your cholesterol. And a tablespoon only has about 15 calories. But it tends to be high in salt, so don’t use too much.
- Sriracha. It’s made from chili peppers, vinegar, and garlic, and one tablespoon has 15 calories. But again, don’t use too much, because it has a lot of sugar and salt.
- Relish. One tablespoon has 20 calories. But it usually has a TON of salt and sugar.
- Soy sauce. A tablespoon is only 10 calories, but has a full gram of salt. The low-sodium stuff has about half that, but that’s still a lot. Most people aren’t supposed to get more than two-and-a-half grams of sodium a day.
- Ketchup. The tomatoes are good for you, but that’s about it. And there’s a ton of added salt and sugar. One tablespoon has about 20 calories. But most people use more than that, and it’s usually with something bad for you, like French fries.
- Mayonnaise. It’s probably the worst condiment for you, because it’s basically pure fat. One tablespoon has a HUNDRED calories.