Here are eight things that can make you look unprofessional at work . . .
- Profanity. You might be able to get away with swearing occasionally. But don’t use the F-word as filler any time you speak passionately about something.
- Constantly being late to work or meetings. It shows a lack of respect.
- Checking out attractive co-workers. If THEY catch you doing it, you’ll know. But it’s more likely one of your OTHER co-workers will see it, and you’ll have no idea.
- Pretending everything’s fine when it’s not. Optimism is good, but you need to be realistic.
- Being flaky. Meaning you say you’ll do something, then don’t. Or you don’t do it on time.
- Being disorganized. Which could mean everything from a messy desk to not answering emails.
- Being inarticulate. That includes using the word “like” too much, and filler words like “uh” and “um” all the time.
- Overpromising. Before you tell a co-worker or client you can do something, make sure you actually CAN do it.