“U.S. News & World Report” just released its annual list of the best cities to live in. They look at things like quality of life, and how many jobs there are.
Last year, Denver took the top spot. But this year it’s Austin, Texas. The job market is good, crime is pretty low, and there’s plenty of stuff to do. Here are the top ten . . . plus McAllen
3. San Jose, California.
4. Washington, D.C.
5. Fayetteville, Arkansas. (It’s in the northwest corner of the state, near the Missouri and Oklahoma borders.)
7. The Raleigh-Durham area in North Carolina.
9. Des Moines, Iowa.
10. Salt Lake City, Utah.
94. McAllen, Texas
(Here’s the full list with all 100 cities.)
What Unusual Halloween Costume Does Each State Google
I like this study because it’s not about the most popular Halloween costume in each state . . . it’s about each state’s most UNUSUAL costume.
The real estate blog Estately.com analyzed Google searches for the past 11 years to figure out what Halloween costume each state looks up more than anyone else. Here are five highlights:
- People in California search for “pregnant nun” costumes the most.
- People in Wisconsin are the most likely to want to dress up as BEER.
- People in Illinois make the most searches for slutty pumpkin costumes.
- People in Texas are looking to explore their feminine side by dressing up as Caitlyn Jenner.
- People in New Jersey search for SNOOKI costumes more than anyone else Keep in mind, the data goes back 11 years, so that covers the whole “Jersey Shore” era. Plus women there already own everything they need for the costume. Hi-YO!
- And people in South Dakota search for the phrase “costume ideas” more than anyone else.
(You can see the top searches for every state here. Sadly, about one in five states didn’t have enough searches for specific costumes to make the list.)
Here’s a map showing the top candy in every state.
A new survey found the most popular Halloween candy in each state. And you might think, “Isn’t EVERY candy Halloween candy? So it’s just the most popular candy in each state?” And the answer is . . . sort of.
Because five states picked candy that you really only eat around Halloween . . . CANDY CORN came in first in Oregon, Wyoming, Texas, Tennessee, and South Carolina. No other candy won that many states.
But Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups got the most votes OVERALL. Although they’re only number one in two states . . . Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, and Butterfinger were the only three that got votes from all 50 states.
The most random result is West Virginia . . . they picked Oreos as their favorite candy. Get it together, guys.
But the biggest surprise is probably Arizona . . . people there picked Toblerone. Who knew they were so fancy?