With all the TV and Internet time we log, it’s amazing we’re not all drooling IDIOTS. Or maybe we are? Anyway, here are five weird signs you’re ABOVE average intelligence . . .
1. You’re the oldest child. A study in 2007 found the oldest child in a family tends to have a slightly higher I.Q. . . . about three points, on average.
2. You don’t smoke. A study in 2010 found that smokers between 18 and 21 had an average I.Q. of 94 . . . while the average non-smoker’s I.Q. was 101. And people who smoked more than a pack a day had an average I.Q. of just 90.
3. You have a cat. A study last year found that dog people tend to be more outgoing. But cat people tend to be smarter.
4. Your mom breast-fed you. Two recent studies found that kids who were breast-fed had I.Q.’s that were seven points higher than kids who weren’t.
5. You’re tall. This one’s controversial, because obviously there are plenty of short people out there who are smart . . . and plenty of tall morons. But a 2008 study at Princeton found that taller kids tend to do better on cognitive tests. (Business Insider)
(So if you’re a tall, cat-owning, eldest child who was breast-fed and doesn’t smoke . . . congratulations?)
Did you know research has actually PROVEN that wearing glasses can make you seem smarter? A survey in 2011 found that 43% of people think glasses ABSOLUTELY make you look more intelligent.
Here are four MORE weird things that can make you appear smarter.
1. Walk at the same speed as other people. A study in 2007 found that when you walk faster OR slower than the people around you, you’re seen as being less intelligent and competent than when you walk at the same pace.
2. Avoid alcohol. And not just because you’re dumber when you’ve been drinking. A 2013 study found that just HOLDING a drink makes you seem less intelligent.
3. Use your middle initial. In a study last year, people’s writing samples were rated more favorably when a middle initial was included in their byline.
4. Avoid using big words. Which is weird, because you’d think big words would make you seem smarter. But a study in 2006 found the opposite is true. SIMPLE writing makes you seem more intelligent than jamming in a bunch of words no one knows.
Throughout history, men have always held the belief that they’re the breadwinners so they should be stronger, harder working, and smarter than their wives.
Until now . . . when men have realized that being a breadwinner is cool, but sitting home playing video games in your underwear and eating Flamin’ Hot Cheetos while your wife makes giant stacks of cash is BETTER.
A new study found men who’ve gotten married in the 1990s and later are the first generation of men to be totally cool with their wives being SMARTER than them.
The researchers found that in marriages between 1950 and 1989, if the wife was more educated than the men, there was a 34% increase in the chance of divorce.
Since 1990, that’s been completely flipped. Today, a couple is 40% more likely to get divorced if the MAN is more educated.
The best bet for a marriage today is if both of you have the same level of education.