Sorry to ruin your Friday, but I just came across this article that says we all might be SHOWERING wrong. Here are five tips from dermatologists on how to do it right . . .
1. Don’t shower too often. It should depend on your activity level. And if you’re not very active and don’t sweat much, you don’t HAVE to shower every day.
2. Keep it short. Exposure to water and cleansers like shampoo and body wash can dry out your hair and skin.
3. Stay cool. Hot water strips away natural oils and damages the skin faster, so you want to stick to a lukewarm or cooler shower.
4. Don’t wash your hair too much . . . or too little. Hair is made of dead skin cells, so it doesn’t need as much washing as the rest of your skin. But not washing it enough can lead to dandruff. Depending on your hair type, a few times a week is good.
5. Focus on the dirtiest areas. Yeah, THOSE areas. Your arms and legs don’t always need soap . . . but your underarms, feet, and GROIN generally DO.
Let’s hope none of your coworkers hear this and get inspired to try it out.
There’s a dermatologist at the University of Toronto named Sandy Skotnicki, and she’s currently working on a book that makes a pretty wild claim: You don’t need soap.
Quote, “If you go to work, dress in a long-sleeve shirt and pants, you’re in your office all day and you go home, there’s no reason for you to use soap. Even if you’ve been at the gym, you don’t necessarily need soap . . . water is more than enough to clean off.”
She says we’re not getting anywhere close to as dirty as we think we are.
And modern soaps are so filled with chemicals that they’re doing more damage to our skin than good. They’re just making us itchy and don’t even do a particularly good job at getting the bacteria off of us.
So should you EVER use soap? Sure, if you’re actually dirty . . . but if you’re showering with it daily, it’s really unnecessary.
It’s time to find out if you’ve been doing very basic things in a STRANGE way without even realizing it.
Buzzfeed just put out a quiz to find out how “normal” people do some basic, everyday things. Here’s what they found . . .
- 48% of people sit on public toilet seats. 27% squat or hover over them, and 25% use a seat cover or put down a layer of toilet paper.
- You know how your earbuds say “L” and “R”? 91% of people follow that and put the corresponding bud in the correct ear.
- 79% of people cut their sandwiches diagonally. Only 21% cut them down the middle.
- Only 42% of people shower in the morning, the other 58% shower at night.
- 97% of people wear their watch with the face on the outside of their wrist. 3% have the face on the inside.
- And 5% of people eat pizza by starting with the crust.
Do you shower like other people? You probably assume you do, but you don’t ACTUALLY know. So a new survey by Buzzfeed tried to figure out exactly what the average person does in the shower. Check it out . . .
- 79% of people stand . . . but 6% shower sitting down. The other 15% stand most of the time, but sit to shave their legs.
- 68% face away from the shower head . . . 32% stand toward it.
- 55% make the water as hot as possible, and 45% keep it warm but not hot.
- Only 31% wash their hair with shampoo every day. 54% do it a few times a week . . . 12% do it once a week or less . . . and 1% NEVER do.
- 81% of people always wash their hair first, then their body.
- 76% always use conditioner after they shampoo. And 8% never use it.
- And finally, believe it or not, 72% of people say they pee in the shower.
Here are five bad morning habits that can ruin your day . . .
1. Hitting snooze. You disrupt your sleep cycle, and end up sleepier than if you’d just gotten up in the first place.
2. Checking your phone before you get out of bed. Research from the University of British Columbia found that people who checked email throughout the day were more stressed than people who checked it just three times a day.
And checking Facebook before you get out of bed can cause you to compare your life to your friends, and make you feel jealous and agitated.
3. Putting off exercise. Exercising any time is better than not exercising at all, but research has found that people who exercise in the morning have lower blood pressure and get better sleep.
4. Taking a shower that’s too hot. A hot shower in the morning will raise your body temperature and increase alertness . . . but if the water’s TOO hot it can cause dry, irritated skin that can become inflamed and itchy.
5. Eating a breakfast high in carbs. A donut or muffin makes you more likely to feel sleepy and hungry before lunch. But it’s still better than SKIPPING breakfast, which makes you much more likely to eat more calories later in the day.