We found a list online of everyday things you’ve probably never thought about. But they all have a purpose. Here are five we liked . . .
1. The hole in the top of a pen cap. It’s not some weird engineering thing that keeps it from drying out. It just makes the cap less of a hazard for little kids by keeping their airway open if they choke on it.
2. Sometimes when you buy nice clothes, there’s an extra piece of fabric in one of the pockets. It’s not there in case you need to make a patch. It’s there so you can test laundry detergent on it.
3. The little “fifth pocket” in your jeans was originally there to hold a pocket watch. And the metal rivets prevent the seams from ripping.
4. On a measuring tape, there’s usually a tiny hole in the hook at the end. It’s there so you can hook it onto a nail or a screw. And the bottom of the hook usually has little teeth, so you can use it to mark drywall while you’re measuring.
5. There’s a soft plastic disc under the lid of a two-liter soda bottle. Even if you take it out, the bottle might not leak. But it has to be there to make it airtight. Otherwise it would go flat a lot faster.
Everybody starts somewhere. Even the biggest celebrities started out working mundane, even crappy jobs.
We dug through some lists online, and came up with first jobs, early jobs, and / or side gigs of the rich and famous.
Here are 24 of our favorites . . .
1. Brad Pitt . . . El Pollo Loco Chicken Mascot
2. Megan Fox . . . Smoothie Maker, Banana Mascot
3. “Hamilton” star Lin-Manuel Miranda . . . Slushee Machine Operator
4. Madonna . . . Dunkin’ Donuts Cashier
5. Rachel McAdams . . . McDonald’s
6. Gwen Stefani . . . Dairy Queen
7. Beyoncé . . . Hair Salon Sweeper
8. Taylor Swift . . . Bug Remover at a Christmas Tree Farm
9. Orlando Bloom . . . Clay Trapper at a Pigeon Shooting Range
10. Ashton Kutcher . . . Floor Sweeper at a General Mills Factory
11. Patrick Dempsey . . . Juggler. (Skip to the 2:50 mark in this video to see him in action.)
12. Lady Gaga . . . Go-Go Dancer
13. Matthew McConaughey . . . Chicken Coop Cleaner
14. Hugh Jackman . . . High School Gym Teacher
15. Johnny Depp . . . Ballpoint Pen Salesman
16. Jennifer Aniston . . . Telemarketer
17. Amy Adams . . . Hooters Hostess
18. Kanye West . . . The Gap
19. Sean Connery . . . Milkman
20. Oprah . . . Grocery Store Clerk
21. Blake Shelton . . . House Painter and Roofer
22. George Clooney . . . Tried Out for the Cincinnati Reds
23. Morgan Freeman . . . Paperboy
24. Tim Allen . . . Cocaine Dealer
The Powerball drawing is tonight at 10:59 P.M. Eastern. The prize is now up to $1.5 BILLION . . . and it’ll probably jump even higher over the course of the day. That means the LUMP sum should also cross the $1 billion mark, which is crazy.
So what do you do if you win? I mean . . . uh . . . WHEN you win. Here are six pieces of advice from MARK CUBAN. After all, he became a billionaire the old fashioned way. You know . . . by tricking the suckers at Yahoo into giving him a fortune.
- Hire a tax attorney first.
- Don’t take the lump sum, so you don’t blow it all.
- If you weren’t happy yesterday, winning won’t make you happy tomorrow.
- But if you WERE happy yesterday, winning will make you VERY happy tomorrow. You’ll enjoy a life where you don’t have to worry about bills.
- Tell all of your friends and family NO when they ask for money. No exceptions. If you help someone, it should be someone you’re close enough to that you knew about their financial issues BEFORE you won. And no one needs $1 million for anything.
- Winning the lottery doesn’t make you a smart investor, so don’t make investments. Just put the money in the bank and live comfortably forever.
(Dallas Morning News)
Earlier this year, we heard that SIR MIX-A-LOT was teaming up with the Seattle Symphony for an ORCHESTRAL version of “Baby Got Back”. Well, it went down on Friday night, and the footage is online.
Before he started rapping, Sir Mix-A-Lot said, quote, “Since tonight is ‘Orchestral Movements from the Hood Night,’ I’m going to leave some of this open, if a couple of ladies would like to come up onto the stage . . .
“I don’t touch! We will not bite unless you want us to.” Dozens of women took him up on his offer, including some that definitely ‘GOT BACK.’ (Especially the lady in the green and black at the 4:50 mark.)