This study is supposed to serve as a warning, but for me, it’s a to-do list.
The Center for Science in the Public Interest just released their annual report on the most absurdly unhealthy items at chain restaurants in 2016. Here’s the top five . . .
- Applebee’s Build Your Sampler appetizer. If you pick cheeseburger egg rolls, pretzels and cheese dip, chicken quesadillas, boneless wings, and spinach dip, it comes to 3,390 calories, 65 grams of saturated fat, and 11,650 milligrams of sodium.
- Maggiano’s Marco’s Meal For Two. Even if you pick the “lighter” options for an appetizer, pasta, and dessert, you’ll both still eat at least 2,840 calories and 79 grams of saturated fat.
- Cheesecake Factory’s Fried Chicken and Waffles Benedict. If you get this for brunch, it has 2,580 calories and 86 grams of saturated fat.
- Dave & Buster’s Short Rib and Cheesy Mac Stack. This sandwich has short ribs with mac-and-cheese on top for 1,910 calories and 42 grams of saturated fat.
- Sonic’s large Grape Slush with Rainbow Candy. You’ll drink 970 calories and one-and-a-quarter cups of sugar.
(Here are a few more of their picks.)
Just stop. Seriously. Just stop.
Dave Asprey is a, quote, “bio-hacker” who made the news a few years ago when he started promoting his weight loss plan: Drink coffee with BUTTER in it. Of course, he suggested you buy HIS extremely expensive coffee made of special, “toxin-free” beans.
He’s built an entire empire around his “Bulletproof Diet” plan . . . but it feels like NO ONE is a big enough SUCKER to fall for his latest product.
He’s now selling fat-infused BOTTLED WATER . . . that costs about $5 for a 16-ounce bottle. It’s gluten free . . . you know, just like regular, fat-free water!
Asprey’s big belief is that good fats, like coconut oil, are the absolute key to losing weight and feeling healthy. His “FATWater” has about two grams of coconut oil in it, and he says that makes your cells more receptive to water so you’ll rehydrate quicker.
FATWater is only available right now in Los Angeles but Asprey is planning to take it nationwide soon.
Fat Infused Water
The website EatThis.com put together a list of the worst things you can have for breakfast, in different categories. So, things like the least healthy cereal, and worst fast food breakfast sandwich. Here’s the list . . .
- Worst cereal: Honey Smacks. One bowl has 15 grams a sugar, which is more than Frosted Flakes or Cap’n Crunch. And it’s coated in partially hydrogenated oil, which has trans fat.
- Worst donut: Dunkin’ Donuts Blueberry Butternut. It has 35 grams of sugar, and 420 calories, which is more than any other donut on the menu.
- Worst breakfast burrito: Taco Bell’s A.M. Crunchwrap with Sausage. 710 calories and 47 grams of fat.Unless you’re eating a whole 12-pack of their Cinnabon dessert things, the A.M. Crunchwrap has more fat than anything else on the menu.
- Worst fast food breakfast sandwich: The Monster Biscuit from Hardee’s and Carl’s Jr. It has as much fat and calories as the A.M. Crunchwrap, but TWICE as much salt.
- Worst breakfast that SOUNDS healthy: A Dunkin’ Donuts Multigrain Bagel with Reduced Fat Strawberry Cream Cheese. It’s 500 calories, has 17 grams of fat, and is pretty much nothing but carbs.
- Worst pancakes: Denny’s Peanut Butter Cup Pancake Breakfast. They’re stuffed with chocolate, and have hot fudge and peanut butter on top. You also get sausage, eggs, and hash browns, so it’s 1,670 calories, with 105 grams of fat.
- Worst omelette: The Chorizo Fiesta Omelette at IHOP. 1,300 calories and106 grams of fat. And you can add pancakes, which is another 700 calories.
- Worst overall breakfast: The Cheesecake Factory’s Bruleéd French Toast. It has 2,780 calories, and as much saturated fat as six cheeseburgers from Sonic.
Your favorite condiment might be ruining your diet if you eat it a lot. Here are seven condiments, and how bad they are for you.
- Salsa. It might be the healthiest condiment out there, because it’s mostly vegetables. One tablespoon only has five calories.
- Mustard is another one that’s not bad, because it’s loaded with antioxidants, vitamin B, and niacin, which can help lower your cholesterol. And a tablespoon only has about 15 calories. But it tends to be high in salt, so don’t use too much.
- Sriracha. It’s made from chili peppers, vinegar, and garlic, and one tablespoon has 15 calories. But again, don’t use too much, because it has a lot of sugar and salt.
- Relish. One tablespoon has 20 calories. But it usually has a TON of salt and sugar.
- Soy sauce. A tablespoon is only 10 calories, but has a full gram of salt. The low-sodium stuff has about half that, but that’s still a lot. Most people aren’t supposed to get more than two-and-a-half grams of sodium a day.
- Ketchup. The tomatoes are good for you, but that’s about it. And there’s a ton of added salt and sugar. One tablespoon has about 20 calories. But most people use more than that, and it’s usually with something bad for you, like French fries.
- Mayonnaise. It’s probably the worst condiment for you, because it’s basically pure fat. One tablespoon has a HUNDRED calories.
We’ve all had that moment . . . you turn on your cell phone to take a photo, it’s still on the selfie setting, and see what your chin looks like from a low angle. And it’s HORRIFYING. So I feel like this drug is going to be worth BILLIONS.
The FDA just approved a new drug called Kybella that targets and dissolves the fat in your DOUBLE CHIN. It’s the first method they’ve approved to get rid of neck fat without surgery.
A dermatologist just gives you a bunch of injections of Kybella under your jaw line, and it goes right to work. It might take a few sessions, but you’ll be healed in a few days and you won’t even need bandages.
And now, the downside. Kybella isn’t approved to eliminate fat in OTHER parts of your body . . . and even worse, a few of the people who used it in clinical trials wound up with NERVE INJURIES that warped their faces. But hey, most of them didn’t?
It’s scheduled to go on sale next month.