We’ve got six job interview tricks for you that are all backed by science. And most of them seem like they’d probably work on a first date too . . .
1. Visualize a good interview. Studies have shown that athletes do better when they visualize themselves doing well. And it works with interviews too.
2. Stop saying you’re “nervous” beforehand, and start saying you’re “excited.” Anxiety and excitement are similar emotions. If you tell yourself out loud that you’re “excited” instead of “nervous,” it actually calms you down.
3. Have a ritual before each interview. It can be something small, like listening to the same song before you go in. Studies have shown that rituals can reduce your heart rate, help you concentrate, and make you feel more in control.
4. Start with small talk. Like the weather, or how crazy traffic was on your way over. Studies have found you’re more likely to get a job if you start out with some meaningless chitchat, because it builds trust.
5. Get ready to brag. Studies have found women tend to be more reluctant to do it than men. One trick is to pretend you’re bragging about a friend instead of yourself.
6. Don’t over-rehearse for it. You’ll sound scripted if you do. Plus, making a mistake isn’t always a bad thing. There’s something called the “pratfall effect,” where you actually seem MORE likeable if you make a mistake or trip over a word.
If people on Instagram become as annoying as people on Facebook, I’m going to have to go all-in on Snapchat. And I REALLY get creeped out by pictures that use face swap, so that’s a worst-case scenario.
A new survey found the 10 most obnoxious photos people post on Instagram. Check ’em out . . .
- Couples kissing or cuddling.
- Pictures that show off how good their body is.
- Vacation photos that are just there to make other people jealous.
- Any picture with friends tagged “#squadgoals.” It’s an athletic workout thing.
- A beach photo of just your legs, where they look like two hotdogs.
- The hashtag “#nofilter,” to brag about how good you look unedited.
- Pictures by the pool.
- Pictures at a music festival.
- Sunset silhouettes.
- Sightseeing photos.
Here are five compliments men never get tired of hearing . . .
- “You look sexy when you cook.” Telling him he looks sexy while doing an everyday task makes him feel more appreciated than just telling him he’s hot.
- “I feel safe with you.” Men like to feel like they can take care of you . . . so knowing you feel protected is an ego boost.
- “I love how determined you are when you set your mind to something.” Guys love being complimented for being decisive.
- “I told my friends how lucky I am to have you.” Guys love when you brag about them to your girlfriends.
- “Have you been working out?” Men don’t usually get as many compliments about their looks as women do, so he’ll appreciate it when he hears it.