The right side of the bed is the wrong side of the bed. Yeah, I’m into talking in riddles now. So what?
According to a new survey, people who get off the bed on the right side are more likely to feel miserable, tired, and grumpy in the morning than people who get out of bed on the left side.
People who get out on the left side feel like they’re awake an average of six minutes earlier . . . and their mood picks up an average of 15 minutes earlier. They’re also 7% less likely to have someone at work comment on how tired they look.
The survey didn’t offer up any reason WHY people who wake up on the left side of the bed are happier, so it’s entirely possible this is a coincidence.
But we’ll offer up a theory. People who sleep on the right side of their bodies are more likely to have heartburn and acid reflux, because it opens up the path between your stomach and esophagus which can throw off your stomach acid levels.
So if you sleep on the right side of the bed, you might be more likely to sleep on your right SIDE . . . so that you’re not facing into the middle. And that could cause minor stomach issues that make you sleep worse.
I know YOU’VE never faked a sick day, but believe it or not, some people have. And when they put on their “I’m on my death bed” voice to call in sick, now we know what THEY should be saying. Again, them, not you. You’re honest.
A new survey asked 1,000 bosses which sick day excuses they’re most likely to believe. So here are the best ones to fake . . .
- The flu.
- Throwing out your back, or having back pain.
- An accidental injury. Too bad they weren’t more specific. A broken toe? A paper cut? There’s so much to choose from when you’re faking it, a little guidance would have been nice. (???)
- A cold.
- A migraine.
One more thing to keep in mind. Even though the flu is the most believable excuse, only about 25% of bosses say they buy it. Which means that no matter WHAT excuse you use, there’s at least a 75% chance your boss won’t buy it.
Apparently Corey Hart was more of a scientific genius than we realized.
According to a sleep expert at the University of British Columbia, if you have trouble sleeping, you can help yourself by wearing SUNGLASSES AT NIGHT.
If you put on sunglasses two hours before you want to go to bed, it’ll mute the barrage of light hitting you from all your screens, and help your body get ready for sleep.
Well I’m not going to argue with THIS.
A survey found only 12% of people SLEEP NAKED . . . but the other 88% really need to start. Because it turns out it’s good for your health. Here are the four reasons why . . .
- You’ll sleep better. Your body temperature is lower, which keeps you from waking up during the night.
- You’ll burn more calories while you sleep.
- It helps prevent bacterial infections down below for women and keeps a man’s sperm count up.
- And you’re more likely to have a HAPPY MARRIAGE. The feeling of being naked in your bed makes your brain release oxytocin, which makes you happier in your relationship.
Here are five bad morning habits that can ruin your day . . .
1. Hitting snooze. You disrupt your sleep cycle, and end up sleepier than if you’d just gotten up in the first place.
2. Checking your phone before you get out of bed. Research from the University of British Columbia found that people who checked email throughout the day were more stressed than people who checked it just three times a day.
And checking Facebook before you get out of bed can cause you to compare your life to your friends, and make you feel jealous and agitated.
3. Putting off exercise. Exercising any time is better than not exercising at all, but research has found that people who exercise in the morning have lower blood pressure and get better sleep.
4. Taking a shower that’s too hot. A hot shower in the morning will raise your body temperature and increase alertness . . . but if the water’s TOO hot it can cause dry, irritated skin that can become inflamed and itchy.
5. Eating a breakfast high in carbs. A donut or muffin makes you more likely to feel sleepy and hungry before lunch. But it’s still better than SKIPPING breakfast, which makes you much more likely to eat more calories later in the day.