Ten years ago, the idea of downloading apps was brand new. Now making those apps is the most lucrative thing you can do with your time.
CNN/Money just released their annual list of the best jobs in America for 2017, and the number one career right now is mobile app developer.
The average app developer makes $97,000 a year . . . there are a ton of open jobs for you to snatch up . . . it’s low stress . . . and you can usually work from home.
The top five jobs right now are:
- Mobile app developer.
- Risk management director . . . they help make plans for either communities or companies in case a disaster happens, and also run the clean up and rebuilding if it does.
- Landman . . . that’s someone who makes deals between oil companies and people who own the land that has natural resources under it.
- Product analyst . . . that’s someone who studies products and figures out how to improve them.
- Info assurance analyst . . . they figure out ways to protect companies’ data and network.
(Here are all 100 jobs on the list.)
Children Trick-or-treating — Image by © Royalty-Free/Corbis
If you’re letting your kids go trick-or-treating with friends this year, here are three free smartphone apps to help keep them safe. They’ll have to have a phone with them, but a lot of kids have their own phone anyway now.
And even if you’re going trick-or-treating with them, you might want them in case you get separated . . .
- Family Locator. It uses the GPS on their phone to show exactly where they are in real time. You just log in on your phone, and it pulls up a map. Or if they need you, they can press an S.O.S. button that sends you their location.
- Red Panic Button. It’s basically like the S.O.S. button, but simpler so it’s good for little kids. All they have to do is push a big red button, and it automatically sends you a text with a link to a map that shows where they are. And you can put multiple people on the contact list, so more than one person gets it.
- Life360. Again, you can see where they are on a map in real time, and they can message you if there’s a problem. But the cool part is you can also set boundary limits. So you get an alert if they go too far away, or cross a street they’re not supposed to.
There’s a dating app called Hinge that’s like Tinder, but only matches you up with friends-of-friends on Facebook. And they just did a study to find out the best ways to start a conversation when you’re doing online dating.
Here are three results that are kind of interesting, even if you DON’T use dating apps.
1. Guys are 98% more likely to reply to ASSERTIVE messages. Women are 40% more likely to reply to FOOD-related things, like “What’s your favorite type of cake?”
2. Men are 25% LESS likely to respond if you wait more than six hours to message them after you’re matched up. But the response rate for women only drops by 5%.
3. People over 35 are more likely to respond to messages about pop culture . . . 29-to-34-year-olds like more personal messages . . . 24-to-28-year-olds respond more to lifestyle questions and things like, “What are your plans this weekend” . . . and 18-to-23-year-olds like weird questions that catch them off guard.
The survey also tested a bunch of pre-written icebreakers to see how well they’d do.
And asking the person to respond with “Two truths and a lie” had the best response rate.
It got 31% more replies than average.
Hinge – Apple | Android
Tinder – Apple | Android
Every kid who’s begged their parents to buy them a phone has used the, “I can call you so you know I’m safe” line. And every parent who fell for it learned their kids are actually TERRIBLE at checking in.
So you’re going to love this as much as your kids hate it . . . a mom in Houston, Texas named Sharon Standifird has invented an app that FORCES your kid to call you back.
It’s called Ignore No More. And when a parent calls their kid and the kid doesn’t answer, the app locks their phone and only gives them two options: Call their parent back or call 911.
So they can’t text, play games, or use apps until they call their parents back and get the unlock code.
Ignore No More costs $1.99 but it’s only available for Android phones . . . Apple doesn’t allow apps to lock up the phone the way this does.